Disagreement of opinions
If you try to “google” and see what the Internet shows about the impact of contextual advertising on the ranking results, you can hear anything formulated in the style: “yes/no, I tried, it affects me (not)”. And you know, I believe each of the formulated opinions and their authors – they do just that if they carefully trace the relationship and analyze the statistics by their numbers.
Moreover, disputes on this subject and mutual proof by persuasion are pointless, because everyone speaks about his own situation, does not know the situation of his colleagues, and of course does not have the entirety of information (I also don’t have) about ranking factors, their mutual influence because I’m not included in the holy of holies is in the circle of the initiates. Here is what is heard and understood from the analysis of countless discussions on this topic:
- The influence factor is the magnitude of the impact is rather negligible, but there is evidence that someone has the presence of such advertising on SEO performance indicators.
- Does disabling advertising affect the results of a downgrade – this is generally not clear and unprovable
- Is it necessary for SEO to engage in direct advertising – “are you so stunned? Direct and SEO are two different things in general, with different goals and you never know what affects what, you don’t need to do advertising, for the sake of SEO”
- Contextual advertising, if it affects, is mainly for “young” sites.
1. In general, people tend to confuse the “cause” of a phenomenon and the “consequence” arising from a phenomenon. This time again the same case.
2. It is not the presence of any advertising, including the “context”, that influences the ranking indicators of search engines, but the traffic from advertising – the number of users accessing the site. Search engines easily identify ads from other content on the site and ad traffic from natural. The number of impressions, as well as the number of platforms used for impressions, are of little interest to search engines. Mentioning the domain, brand, products in a natural and non-advertising manner, the presence of “dophotou” links – all this influences and are factors that increase the “weight” of the site, but another argument in favor of increasing the ranking of the site is not the availability of advertising, but traffic to the site from such an advertisement.
3. The actions that users perform on the site by clicking on the advertising link are also important. That is, by clicking on an advertisement and getting to the site, the user should at least stay on the site and not leave immediately, but reach the end, follow the link, click on the interactive form, and so on.
4. This means that if you comply with all the conditions of the “right” SEO and also have traffic from contextual advertising, then this traffic will be another factor in increasing the ranking of the site.
5. That’s just not the presence or absence of the most constructive advertising (the fact of publications, advertising modules scattered around the YAN), but the presence of traffic!
6. That’s just if the number of users coming from such advertising is negligible and (or) if the users arriving, but not seeing anything important, immediately leave the site, then such “insignificant” traffic will not additionally form the weight of the site.
7. Even if a certain number of people comes from contextual advertising, this does not mean that the site will have a “rating” increase. Yes Yes! this now said, at first glance, contradicts what is written in paragraph 5.
8. In addition to “context”, traffic can be:
- with media, article advertising on a large number of other sites;
- with search results;
- from social networks;
- from the links entered in the “favorite” computers of regular customers;
- by the links posted on the websites of your dealers
- from links from emails;
- from the direct activity of your offline managers (phoning, sent PDFs with links);
- visitors to yesterday’s exhibition where you handed out business cards and catalogs
- with any other offline marketing activity
- for a bunch of other reasons (hype avalanche interest, say)
9. If all this traffic is taken as 100%, and the traffic from the context you had, for example, no more than 5% of the total traffic, then the influence of such user activity from contextual advertising is negligible and this factor, although it will be taken into account, will not bring any significant increase in “weight”.
10). A similar situation is with traffic from social networks. These are not social networks that somehow influence or do not affect SEO, but the magnitude of the traffic that comes from this source and the number of those who get to the site through this channel from the total number of all visitors. You can fill all the social networks with you, buy all the possible advertising, but if there are no clicks to your site, then the weight of this factor will be negligible.
11). If the site (some separate website’s website or a website on a separate request) crawled in the search results, but you didn’t have a “context” for this request, moreover, even if there was no advertising on this website, there is no role such ads do not play on search results for this request.
12). Moreover, when it’s not just “drawdown”, against the background of the growth of competitors’ indicators, but “pessimization” (minus 20 points at once) – a deliberate downgrade of the site by the search system, if there are more significant factors than some contextual advertising. For example, if there are markup errors, content, “spam”, “broken links” and so on. Then these anti-factors influence the site rating by an order of magnitude greater than all the positive work of the SEO-optimizer and some contextual advertising.
13). If the content on the site is of little value or cloned, if the “ping” of the site is 300 ms. and more, and he himself is a doorway, then such a site will easily fly out for the TOP-100, no matter how many users come from contextual advertising.
14). The conscious surge of traffic and increase in user activity on the site, for which contextual advertising is sometimes used (nothing “black and illegal”) is a good idea for instantly receiving another ranking factor, but this factor will be weighed and evaluated in conjunction with a huge number of other factors.
15). We should also dwell on the impact of contextual advertising on the SEO of “young” sites. The newly registered domain and the site hosted on it are lightweight, since many factors are absent, and the significance of the available factors is at the level of error. Any work of an SEO specialist leads (or does not lead) to the emergence of new and new factors for the “weighting” of the site (here, the first references and links appeared) and the quality of this work determines how much this new factor affects the overall picture with the “weight” of the site . also give SEO service very low rate Naturally, traffic from contextual advertising is a real factor, especially against the background of the absence of others (visitors from other sources, few links, few significant references). True, do not flatter yourself – as soon as new and other factors have a significant impact, the weight of this factor will decrease. Therefore, do not assume
16) It is important to understand that search engines understand the problems of “young” sites, therefore they can easily unnaturally, deliberately and temporarily raise a site’s rating, bring it much higher than it should be, in order to see the reaction of users to the “new product” and collect statistics on user activity: popular yurls, content that interests them, and so on. If, simultaneously with this process, contextual advertising is also launched, then imagination and the false impression that, given the absence of other factors, contextual advertising has become the reason for increasing the site’s rating, can be born. Calm down! Search engines perfectly distinguish traffic from advertising from “natural” site visitors and a “young” site from a mature trust resource. Over time, the search engine will determine a new and appropriate rating for it.
Something as a conclusion
- Why are there disputes and why does someone work for someone, and for others it stubbornly does not want to work? The fact is that two on-line projects, even simultaneously launched, even from the same market, are not similar. Moreover, they are not similar, in terms of search engines, different sites with different weights, ages, themes. Compare dissimilarly and believe that the reaction of search engines in both cases will be the same – this is a mistake;
- It does not take into account the presence of advertising (links from it, the number of impressions of such advertising), but the presence of traffic from it. If traffic is negligible – the news of this factor for SEO is negligible.
- Everything is important for “young” sites, including traffic from advertising. But you need to understand that in relation to him, even the most significant factors are cautiously questioned.
- Friends, stop guessing the behavior of search engines. SEO is not an attempt to deceive the search engine, it is honest and painstaking work on all the factors allowing even an inexperienced user to see a useful, well-organized online resource in your site.
- Contextual advertising, direct advertising, in itself, is not a ranking factor, but a promotion element used by your marketing to receive traffic – website visitors. The better the traffic, more precisely, the more understandable to search engines the interest of people in your resource, the higher, including the likelihood of a positive assessment of both such advertising traffic and the site;
- The notion of “good” SEO has been steadily shifting in recent years. The set of mathematical and statistical estimates is being replaced by behavioral-heuristic factors. Everything is simpler … instead of indicators of the piece number of marketing activity, indicators of the importance of this done for people are occupied:
- instead of countless – fat links from thematic trust sites;
- instead of “links from the face” – links and even just a mention on thematic yurla, with high-quality narrowly thematic content;
- instead of a large number of visitors bots – “behavioral factors”, “humanoid” behavior of your host on the site;
- instead of the “correct” markup, usability and the availability of prices on the site – the need for people.
- Therefore, how many users went into contextual advertising – this is important but more and more important, more – let’s say, how many of them:
- Asked to call back using the call-back form;
- how many of them downloaded something;
- thrown into the basket;
- Fill out the form
- moved on and where exactly;
- gone and where did you go from your site;
- having left, did you mention;
- having left whether they returned
- and what’s the reason for getting to your site again, another time